10.22.2020 | By T. Critelli
Matcha Shortbread Cookies with a Honey Milk Glaze
If you are an avid lover of matcha like us at Senbird, then these matcha shortbread cookies are sure to be your next favorite thing since it’s a twist on the classic matcha latte itself! These shortbread cookies highlight the earthy and bold flavors of matcha, without being too overpowering, and is drizzled with a sweet milk glaze on top — a delightful combination that tastes just like a matcha latte. What we love about this shortbread recipe is that it can be prepared in under 10 minutes and bakes plenty to share with friends and family. Pair this matcha shortbread cookie with a cup of tea for a perfect tea time break.
$24.99Add to cart
Matcha Otome is a ceremonial grade green tea powder that has a fresh aroma and rich, savory notes of sweet grass with slight astringency. From the prestigious Uji region in Kyoto, this matcha is excellent as is or in drinks such as matcha lattes, smoothies and cocktails.
Matcha Latte Shortbread Cookies with a Honey Glaze
Serving size: 12-15 cookies
Total time: 10 minutes + 4-8 hour chilling time
- ¾ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1-2 tablespoons Otome Matcha
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
Honey Milk Glaze
- ½ cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 tbsp milk of choice
- 1 tbsp Honey
Instructions for making the dough:
- Combine the flour, salt and matcha together in a medium size bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and vanilla until light and creamy. With a hand mixer, mix the powdered sugar until almost combined.
- Add the matcha flour mixture and mix on low until a consistent, corn meal-like texture forms.
- Lay your mixture on a floured surface and knead until combined and a dough forms.
- Create a rectangle shaped log with your dough that is 1-½ to 2 inches tall. Tightly wrap the dough log in wax paper.
- Chill the dough for at least 4 hours or overnight to ensure your dough is firm to cut into pieces
Instructions for baking the cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut dough into ½ inch thick rectangles (or mold into dough balls) and place on a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes or until slightly golden brown on the edges.
- Make the honey milk glaze by whisking the powdered sugar, honey and milk into a bowl. Add additional milk if the glaze appears too thick.
- Once cookies are cooled, drizzle the glaze over them. Feel free to sprinkle any additional toppings such as matcha powder, white chocolate shavings, or cinnamon.
Pro Tip: Drizzle our homemade honey milk glaze to your shortbread cookies to balance any bitterness.
If you recreate this recipe, tag us on Instagram at @senbirdtea or #senbirdtea! We’d love to see your creation.
T. Critelli is a NYC foodie who is passionate about baking, sharing recipes and eating local.