Treat yourself or your friends and family with this simple and delicious matcha cupcakes recipe! They are the perfect baking project for an afternoon snack or dessert.
Not only do these matcha cupcakes look and taste amazing, but matcha is also known for its nutritional benefits, rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. Great for boosting your metabolism and your mood. With the combination of matcha’s bold green color, health benefits, and delicious cupcake goodness, these matcha cupcakes will surely be a popular pick amongst your matcha-loving friends on your next special occasion.
Use the recipe below from our friends at Bella Cupcake Couture to make your own matcha cupcakes, and make sure to check out their content for baking hacks and tips from their pro bakers!
MATCHA CUPCAKES RECIPE
Serving Size: 12
Total Time: 1 hour
For the cupcake
- 1 cupcake flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened matcha
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 4 tablespoons butter, slightly softened
- 1/2 cup milk, room temperature
For the frosting
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 tablespoon Matcha Otome
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 227-gram pack of cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
How to make the matcha cupcake
- Preheat the oven to 350F and then line a regular 12-cup muffin tray using the best cupcake liners.
- Prepare dry ingredients by sifting the matcha powder, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl.
- Add the butter and sugar together in a separate bowl using an electric mixer that has a paddle attachment. Then mix over medium to high speed for about three to five minutes until it's light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla or almond extract and mix well until they are thoroughly combined while scraping the sides of your mixing bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix over low speed. Then add the milk and mix until they are fully combined.
- Using an ice cream scoop or a cup, divide the batter evenly and put it in the lined muffin tin.
- Put it in the oven and bake for about ~16 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted. Let the cupcakes cool for about five minutes before transferring them to a wire rack so they can cool completely.
How to make the matcha frosting
- Prepare the frosting by sifting the confectioners' sugar and matcha powder together in a bowl. Mix them together and set them aside.
- Mix the cream cheese and butter in a separate bowl using an electric mixer over medium speed.
- Fold in the dry ingredients and mix well until fully combined.
- Place the frosting inside a piping bag that's fitted with your favorite or preferred decorating tip.
- Pipe the frosting on your cooled cupcakes and serve or refrigerate for up to 5 days.
- Add a dusting of matcha powder on top of your buttercream to take the look to the next level.
- If you have leftover frosting, you can use it as a spread for bread, or other sweet delights. Get creative!
If you want to read more articles on matcha recipes, check them out here:
- 5 Unique Matcha Drink Recipes
- How to Make Matcha Lemonade
- How to Make Matcha Banana Bread
- Strawberry Cream Matcha Shortbread
- Matcha Gin Tonic Cocktail Recipe
- Matcha Shortbread Cookies with Milk Glaze
- Matcha Apple Pie Ovenight Oats Recipe
- Matcha Milk and Honey Bread Recipe
- Matcha Bubble Milk Tea Recipe
- Vanilla Matcha Hot Chocolate Recipe
- Creamy Matcha Green Tea Popsicle Recipe
- Matcha Strawberry Jam Recipe
Share your moment with us and stay connected on: